A collection of principles that I aspire to live by.

Philosophy

  1. See Things for What They Are – “Truth – or, more precisely, an accurate understanding of reality – is the essential foundation for any good outcome.” –Ray Dalio
  2. Focus on Your Locus of Control – All efforts outside of it are wasted.
  3. Essentialism – Do less but Better. Focus on the few most important things and do them well.
  4. Amor Fati – “My formula for greatness in a human being is amor fati: that one wants nothing to be different, not forward, not backward, not in all eternity. Not merely bear what is necessary, still less conceal it—all idealism is mendacity in the face of what is necessary—but love it.” –Friedrich Nietzsche
  5. Take Full Responsibility for your Life – The opposite is prone to victim mentality which will make you weak and unhappy.
  6. Memento Mori – Remember that you will die. Time is limited.

Performance

  1. Effectiveness Over Efficiency – Doing the right things is more important than doing things well.
  2. Pareto Principle – 20% of the inputs create 80% of the outputs.
  3. Build Momentum – Make homeostasis work for you and tap into the compound effect.
  4. Know Which Game You’re Playing – Life is More Often a Loser’s Game, not a Winner’s game
  5. Chose your inputs carefully – What you read and watch, what you listen to, your friends… they make you who you are.
  6. Opportunity Cost – Resources are limited. Every time you chose something you say no to something else.
  7. Apply the 85%-rule – Aim for 85% energy expenditure, and reserve the other 15% for mental & physical calm.
  1. Life is probabilistic – Nothing is certain. Everything is conditional. Use probabilistic thinking to improve your decisions.
  2. Survival of the Fittest – The most adapted wins in the short-term. The most adaptable wins in the long-run.
  3. Progressive Escalation – Always try the simplest, least risky, and/or cheapest solution first.
  4. Beliefs Must be Earned – Only Trust the opinions of people with skin in the game. An idea from Nassim Taleb.
  5. Build Redundancy and Margin of Safety – Avoid over-optimization and relying too much on your predictions. You will be wrong eventually.

People

  1. Past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior – It’s not that people can’t change, it’s just that they usually don’t.
  2. Follow the Silver Rule – “Do not treat others the way you do not want to be treated by them” –Nassim Taleb
  3. Hanlon’s Razor – Don’t attribute to malice that which is more easily explained by stupidity.